Timeline – The Progression
01. Jacob knows the Cullens left and that Sam found Bella in the woods
02. Jacob knows what the bonfires on the cliffs mean
03. Jacob receives a surprise visit from Bella
04. Jacob proudly announces that he’s now “six-five”
05. Jacob accepts Bella’s proposal about fixing the bikes
“Well . . .,” I pursed my lips as I considered. I wasn’t sure if he could keep his mouth shut, but I didn’t have many other options. “I recently acquired a couple of bikes, and they’re not in the greatest condition. I wonder if you could get them running?”
“Cool.” He seemed truly pleased by the challenge. His face glowed. “I’ll give it a try”
06. Jacob unloads the bikes with a swiftness that unnerves Bella
07. Jacob threatens to throw Quil and Embry out for their inappropriate comments
08. Jacob argues age statistics with Bella.
09. Jacob explains that Sam and his disciples are cliff-diving
10. Jacob reveals his fears to Bella regarding Sam Uley
“Bella, they bugged him even more than they bother me. He didn’t want anything to do with them. And now Embry’s following Sam around like he’s joined a cult.
“And that’s the way it was with Paul. Just exactly the same. He wasn’t friends with Sam at all. Then he stopped coming to school for a few weeks, and, when he came back, suddenly Sam owned him. I don’t know what it means. I can’t figure it out, and I feel like I have to, because Embry’s my friend and . . . Sam’s looking at me funny . . . and . . .”
He trailed off.
11. Jacob shows Bella where the clutch and the brake is on the motorcycle
12. Jacob watches Bella lose control of the motorcycle
13. Jacob gives Bella his t-shirt to stop the bleeding on her forehead
14. Jacob lies with Bella and says that she tripped in his garage
15. Jacob goes with Bella to find the meadow
16. Jacob agrees to go to the movies with Bella and her friends
17. Jacob and Mike Newton have a testosterone moment as they shake hands
18. Jacob gives Bella $10 to buy his movie ticket for him
19. Jacob follows Bella who follows Mike as he runs out the theater sick
20. Jacob is amused and calls Mike a marshmallow
21. Jacob tries to hold Bella’s hand, which she tries to refuse
22. Jacob tells her that he won’t give up
“Now, just hold on a minute, Bella,” he said in a calm voice. “Tell me something.”
I grimaced. I didn’t want to do this. Not just not now, but not ever. There was nothing left in my life at this point that was more important than Jacob Black. But he seemed determined to ruin everything.
“What?” I muttered sourly.
“You like me, right?”
“You know I do.”
“Better than that joker puking his guts out in there?” He gestured toward the bathroom door.
“Yes,” I sighed.
“Better than any of the other guys you know?” He was calm, serene—as if my answer didn’t matter, or he already knew what it was.
“Better than the girls, too,” I pointed out.
“But that’s all,” he said, and it wasn’t a question.
It was hard to answer, to say the word. Would he get hurt and avoid me? How would I stand that?
“Yes,” I whispered.
He grinned down at me. “That’s okay, you know. As long as you like me the best. And you think I’m good-looking—sort of. I’m prepared to be annoyingly persistent.”
23. Jacob gives Mike a bucket to vomit in during the car ride
24. Jacob follows Bella back to her house after she drops Mike off
25. Jacob is feeling “wrong” and decides to go home
26. Jacob tells Bella that she can count on him
27. Jacob doesn’t have the stomach flu and tells her not to come to La Push
28. Jacob doesn’t call Bella back
29. Jacob looks at Bella through his wolf’s eyes and then turns to chase Laurent
30. Jacob comes home to find Bella waiting for him
31. Jacob tells Bella that Sam is not to blame
“Stop blaming Sam.” The words came out fast, like a reflex. His hands reached up to twist around the hair that was no longer there, and then fell limply at his sides.
“Then who should I blame?” I retorted.
He halfway smiled; it was a bleak, twisted thing.
“You don’t want to hear that.”
“The hell I don’t!” I snapped. “I want to know, and I want to know now.”
“You’re wrong,” he snapped back.
“Don’t you dare tell me I’m wrong—I’m not the one who got brainwashed! Tell me now whose fault this all is, if it’s not your precious Sam!”
“You asked for it,” he growled at me, eyes glinting hard. “If you want to blame someone, why don’t you point your finger at those filthy, reeking bloodsuckers that you love so much?”
32. Jacob tells Bella that he’s not a good person anymore and that she should leave
33. Jacob climbs through Bella’s window later and tries to jog her memory
34. Jacob urges Bella to remember the “stories” before leaving her once again
35. Jacob is asleep when Bella comes to warn him about the hunters
36. Jacob meets Bella at First Beach
37. Jacob laughs in relief when Bella calls him a “murderer”
38. Jacob tells Bella that the “black-haired leech” is dead
39. Jacob learns what the “red-haired female” is after
40. Jacob transforms into a wolf to tell the pack that he has information
41. Jacob brings Bella to meet the pack
42. Jacob phases and fights with Paul
With another sharp tearing sound, Jacob exploded, too. He burst out of his skin— shreds of black and white cloth blasted up into the air. It happened so quickly that if I’d blinked, I’d have missed the entire transformation. One second it was Jacob diving into the air, and then it was the gigantic, russet brown wolf—so enormous that I couldn’t make sense of its mass somehow fitting inside Jacob—charging the crouched silver beast.
Jacob met the other werewolf’s attack head-on. Their angry snarls echoed like thunder off the trees. The black and white scraps—the remains of Jacob’s clothes—fluttered to the ground where he’d disappeared.
“Jacob!” I screamed again, staggering forward.
“Stay where you are, Bella,” Sam ordered. It was hard to hear him over the roar of the fighting wolves. They were snapping and tearing at each other, their sharp teeth flashing toward each other’s throats. The Jacob-wolf seemed to have the upper hand—he was visibly bigger than the other wolf, and it looked like le was stronger, too. He rammed his shoulder against the gray wolf again and again, knocking him back toward the trees.
43. Jacob returns smug after winning the fight with Paul
44. Jacob tells the pack why Victoria has been heading to Forks
45. Jacob eats entire large pizza by himself while Bella watches in amazement
46. Jacob tells Bella his fear – that he’s losing himself, that he’s a monster
47. Jacob learns what supernatural abilities the Cullens had
48. Jacob is unable to take Bella cliff-diving because they picked up a fresh trail
49. Jacob pulls Bella out of the water and calls what she did “really stupid”
50. Jacob and Bella fall asleep on Billy’s sofa
“You can stay here,” Jacob said as he dumped me on the short couch. “I mean it—right here I’ll get you some dry clothes.”
I let my eyes adjust to the dark room while Jacob banged around in his bedroom. The cramped front room seemed so empty without Billy, almost desolate. It was strangely ominous—probably just because I knew where he was. Jacob was back in seconds. He threw a pile of gray cotton at me.
“These will be huge on you, but it’s the best I’ve got. I’ll, er, step outside so you can change.”
“Don’t go anywhere. I’m too tired to move yet. Just stay with me.”
Jacob sat on the floor next to me, his back against the couch. I wondered when he’d slept last. He looked as exhausted as I felt. He leaned his head on the cushion next to mine and yawned. “Guess I could rest for a minute . . .”
His eyes closed. I let mine slide shut, too.
51. Jacob and Bella learn that Harry Clearwater has died
52. Jacob takes Bella home to wait for Charlie
53. Jacob can smell a vampire nearby and tries to take Bella away
54. Jacob argues with her when she refuses to leave
55. Jacob leaves Bella in front of her house and “hopes that she doesn’t die”
56. Jacob returns to find out if the Cullens are coming back
57. Jacob apologizes for breaking his promise again
58. Jacob tries to kiss Bella but is interrupted by the ringing phone
59. Jacob tells “Carlisle” that Charlie isn’t there, that he’s at the funeral
60. Jacob begs Bella not to go to Italy
61. Jacob is refusing to answer Bella’s calls
62. Jacob tells Charlie about the motorcycles
63. Jacob asks as spokesperson for the pack
I just needed to remind your bloodsucking friends of a few key points in the treaty they agreed to. The treaty chat is the only thing stopping me from ripping his throat out right this minute.”
“We haven’t forgotten,” Edward said at the same time that I demanded, “What key points?”
Jacob still glowered at Edward, but he answered me. “The treaty is quite specific. If any of them bite a human, the truce is over. Bite, not kill,” he emphasized. Finally, he looked at me. His eyes were cold. It only took me a second to grasp the distinction, and then my face was as cold as his.
“That’s none of your business.”
“The hell it—” was all he managed to choke out.
64. Jacob becomes angry as Edward refuses to allow Bella near him
65. Jacob and Bella’s friendship is left uncertain